Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Caring, Giving Grace, and Loving: Alzheimer's Loved Ones

Frank Broyles (football guru and former coach of the Arkansas Razorbacks) and his wife walked down the lonely Alzheimer's Road of love, sadness, sorrow, and joy. He wrote a playbook from his experience and says "feeling safe is the key to keeping her in a 'happy place' as much as possible." And "this "Playbook for Alzheimer's Caregivers" is a social model, not a medical model (doing things with her, not for her)."
My wife ministers to a large number of Alzheimer's patients and their families every week and has witnessed first hand the challenge, the joys, the sadness, the grief, and the love that can be experienced during this experience. If you know someone who faces this challenge of Alzhiemer's, order them a copy (or download your free PDF version) and give them a 'cold drink of water' on a very thirsty journey.

Do not ask me to remember.
Don't try to make me understand.
Let me rest and know you're with me.
Kiss my cheek and hold my hand.

I'm confused beyond your concept.
I am sad and sick and lost.
All I know is that I need you
To be with me at all cost.

Do not lose you patience with me.
Do not scold or curse or cry.
I can't help the way I'm acting,
Can't be different 'though I try.

Just remember that I need you,
That the best of me is gone.
Please don't fail to stand beside me,
Love me 'till my life is done.
- Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment